Martin County's first courthouse was erected in 1862, five years after being incorporated into the Minnesota Territory. The wooden log building was built at a cost of $200, which was raised by the county's 151 residents.
To protect the area from the events of the Sioux Uprising, which began earlier that year, a stockade was built around the building to serve as a mess hall for volunteers and troops of the 25th Wisconsin. The stockade, which would become officially known as Fort Fairmount, completely enclosed the courthouse building.
The courthouse building can be seen here on the far left side of the photo.
With local conflicts waning, Fort Fairmount was eventually abandoned by troops and still served as a courthouse, church, general store, and post office until the second courthouse was built in 1882. It served as a courthouse for 20 years.
A tablet, located outside of the current courthouse, marks the site.
"This boulder marks the site of Fort Fairmount - Built during the Sioux Indian Uprising 1862 by Company A 25th Wisconsin volunteers under Major Jeremiah M. Rusk and is dedicated to the pioneers who faced the dangers of frontier life to establish homes in Martin County.
Placed by Fairmont chapter Daughters of the American Revolution - 1926"