The Patrol Division consists of an Investigator, Deputy Sheriffs, and a School Resource Deputy. The Patrol Division responds to accidents, answers calls, provides preventative patrol and assists municipalities as requested. These deputies are supervised by the Sheriff, Chief Deputy and Sergeant. We have deputies who have received specialized training in areas such as Drug Prevention, Cops in Schools, Boat and Water Safety, Snowmobile Safety, Narcotics, Civil Process, and Community Policing.
The Sheriff’s Office has implemented the community-policing concept of dividing the county into patrol districts and assigning deputies to mainly patrol their assigned district to get to know the residents. The districts are then rotated.
- Boat & Water Safety – inspects boats of area resorts for current registration and safety violations, patrols area lakes during the summer months, issues swim raft permits for special events held on area lakes and heads up all search and rescue operations on the lakes, such as drowning.
- Civil Process – provides the service of all legal process (papers) received from the court and private attorneys.
- Community Policing – School Resource Deputy, Drug Education Programs.
- Court Security Deputy – Provides security for all open court hearings.
- Investigations – all major offenses are referred to the Investigator. These include, but are not limited to, homicide, child abuse, criminal sexual conduct, burglary, arson, and fraud cases.
- Martin County Posse – a volunteer unit which provides the department with assistance in search and rescue operations.
- Patrol and Crime Prevention – 16 deputies and two sergeants answer complaints and patrol Martin County on a rotating schedule. The Sheriff’s Office also has one drug task force officer.
- Snowmobile Safety Program – provided during winter months with assistance from DNR Snowmobile Safety Grant.