Visiting the Library:
The Library is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm. It is located on the third floor of the Martin County Courthouse.
While the Library does not employ a permanent staff person, a law clerk may be available for assistance. The law clerk cannot provide any legal advice, but may assist with legal research questions. To contact the law clerk with legal research questions, you may call 507-432-7014 or mail Martin County Courthouse, 201 Lake Avenue, Room 306, Fairmont, MN 56031
Library patrons have access to a free computer and printer. The Library maintains a subscription to Westlaw, enabling easy access to a large repository of legal publications. Westlaw access is limited to Minnesota and select federal materials.
The following publications are available in print:
- Collier Bankruptcy Practice Guide, King (Lexis)
- Criminal Law Defenses, Robinson (West)
- Criminal Procedure, LaFave (West)
- Environmental Law, Rogers (West)
- Law of Remedies, Dobbs (West)
- The Law of Torts, Dobbs (West)
- Manual on Employment Discrimination and Civil Rights Actions, Richy (West)
- McCormick on Evidence (West)
- Medicare and Medicaid Claims and Procedures, McCormick (West)
- Minnesota Civil Practice (Lexis)
- Minnesota Criminal Law Handbook (West)
- Minnesota Family Law (West)
- Minnesota Family Law Practice Manual (Lexis)
- Minnesota Practice Series (West)
- Minnesota Rules of Court (West)
- Minnesota Statutes Annotated (West)
- Patton and Palomar on Land Titles (West)
- Pirsig on Minnesota Pleading (Lexis)
- Search and Seizure, LaFave (West)
- Social Security Claims and Procedures, McCormick (West)
- Uniform Commercial Code Practitioner’s Treatise Series (West)
Other Useful Resources**
Self-Help Center Services
Two Self-Help terminals are located at the Martin County Courthouse. One terminal is located in the Library, and the other at Court Administration in the Law Enforcement Center next door.
Minnesota Court Forms
These forms are models produced by the State to assist you with routine legal matters including: divorce; modifying child support, child custody, or parenting time, criminal expungement, name change, or small claims matter. Visit this website to access the forms as well as instructions.
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services
A legal aid organization that provides client representation to low-income or otherwise eligible persons.
This website contains not only useful referrals, but also concise manuals on numerous legal issues that can clarify both relevant law and procedure.
State Law Library
The State Law Library maintains a large online collection of recent Minnesota court opinions, briefs, and legal articles that are searchable.
Minnesota Court Records Search
This is a state database providing case-specific information. The link above directs you to the public-view version of the Minnesota Court Information System (MNCIS), the computerized case management system used by Minnesota District Courts to track and manage cases. The search results display case information, including register of actions, calendars, judgments, and criminal and civil orders and notices prepared by the court. Please note: Courthouse public access terminals provide the most complete access to electronic district court case records, because they are not restricted by the remote access provisions of the Rules of Public Access.
*The law clerk cannot provide any legal advice. If you have questions about a legal matter, please contact an attorney.
**Martin County Law Library is not responsible for the content or accuracy of the information provided on external websites. The inclusion of a link does not constitute an endorsement by the Library of that website.